Monday 23 September 2013

Day 1 : Beginning of a LOVE-HATE relationship with MATHEMATICS!!!

My Dear Love Mathematics,
 
You know that I don't like you that much and I cower in fear when dealing with your problems. After seeing you, my heart becomes a null set; making me feel sick and anxious. The probability of us becoming one is Nil. Nevertheless, I have to face you now and overcome my fears if I don't want to run miles and miles away from you.
 
So my love, please show me mercy and set me free of your infinite complex numbers and equations!!!
 
With lots of  XOXO,
Your One and Only Muse <3

 
Today is the first day of lesson and I'm already dreading to go for it!!! Well you see, I was never a FAN of MATHEMATICS!!! Just hearing the name makes me cringe! But I have to get through this if  I want to overcome my fears.
 
During today's class, we were presented with four problems to solve. The problems were:

"What letter in a name is 99?"
 












 It was amazing to see how everyone in class used to find the answer.

Through this activity, I learnt that there are several patterns such as multiples of 2, 6, 10 or 12 and that there are several methods to solve the question. Try it and you 'll have fun , too!

 "Card Trick"
 
Wow! This was the most memorable problem for the night. I was awe-struck when Dr. Yeap performed this trick. It was simply magical. The method used to find out how this trick works was through "trial and error" and with the help of my wonderful coursemate, Hui Min! Thank you so much, dear! Enjoy the video and spread the magical dust around.
 
 
 
 
"The Shredder"


 It was fun trying to solve this with my team mates.

 Fun with "Tangrams"

 Ooohh... this activity brought back so many wonderful memories. I remember the fun I had when doing this with my students. I made different sized rectangles with the tangrams. Do you know that tangram is a dissection puzzle consisting of seven flat shapes, called tans, which are put together to form shapes. And that is was invented in China during the Song Dynasty!!!

 Well, here are some pictures...




 


 
To conclude, Dr. Yeap mentioned that "Practice makes perfect" but that you are practicing the wrong thing perfectly.


P/s: I think I'm slowly falling in love with you, Mathematics!!!

Signing off,
Your muse,
Uma



 


No comments:

Post a Comment